Hollow glass microspheres are specially processed glass microspheres, which are mainly characterized by lower density and poorer thermal conductivity than glass microspheres. It is a new type of micron-scale lightweight material developed in the 1950s and 1960s. Its main component is borosilicate, with a general particle size of 10~250μm and a wall thickness of 1~2μm; hollow glass beads have It has the characteristics of high compressive strength, high melting point, high resistivity, and small thermal conductivity and thermal shrinkage coefficient. It is known as the “space age material” in the 21st century. Hollow glass microspheres have obvious weight reduction and sound insulation and thermal insulation effects, so that the products have good anti-cracking performance and reprocessing performance, and are widely used in composite materials such as glass fiber reinforced plastic, artificial marble, artificial agate, as well as in the petroleum industry, aerospace and aerospace industries. , new high-speed trains, automobiles and ships, thermal insulation coatings and other fields have effectively promoted the development of my country’s scientific and technological undertakings. In order to meet the requirements of low dielectric, low loss and light weight of 5G communication materials, hollow glass microspheres also play an increasingly significant role due to their low cost and good performance.
1 – Ingredient
Chemical composition of hollow glass microspheres (mass ratio)
SiO2: 50%-90%, Al2O3: 10%-50%, K2O: 5%-10%, CaO: 1%-10%, B2O3: 0-12%
color pure white
It can be widely used in any products that have requirements on appearance and color.
3- light density
The density of hollow glass microspheres is about one tenth of the density of traditional filler particles. After filling, the basis weight of the product can be greatly reduced, more production resins can be replaced and saved, and the product cost can be reduced.
Hollow glass microspheres are easy to wet and disperse, and can be filled in most thermosetting thermoplastic resins, such as polyester, epoxy resin, polyurethane, etc.
Since hollow glass microspheres are tiny spheres, they have better fluidity in liquid resins than flake, needle or irregular fillers, so they have excellent mold filling performance. More importantly, the small microbeads are isotropic, so there is no disadvantage of inconsistent shrinkage rates in different parts due to orientation, which ensures the dimensional stability of the product and will not warp.
6- Thermal and sound insulation insulation
The inside of hollow glass microspheres is a thin gas, so it has the characteristics of sound insulation and heat insulation, and it is an excellent filler for various thermal insulation and sound insulation products. The insulating properties of hollow glass microspheres can also be used to protect products from thermal shock caused by alternating between rapid heating and rapid cooling conditions. High specific resistance and extremely low water absorption make it widely used in the production of cable insulation materials.
7- Low oil absorption
The particles of the sphere determine that it has the smallest specific surface area and low oil absorption rate. During the use process, the amount of resin can be greatly reduced, and the viscosity will not increase a lot even under the premise of high addition amount, which greatly improves the production and operation conditions. Increase production efficiency by 10% to 20%.
8- Low dielectric constant
The Dk value of hollow glass microspheres is 1.2~2.2 (100MHz), which can effectively improve the dielectric properties of the material.
Plastics for hollow glass beads
(1) For the modification of engineering plastics such as nylon, PP, PBT, PC, POM, etc., it can improve fluidity, eliminate glass fiber exposure, overcome warpage, improve flame retardant performance, reduce glass fiber consumption, and reduce production costs.
(2) Filling with rigid PVC, PP, PE, and producing profiled materials, pipes and plates can make the products have good dimensional stability, improve rigidity and heat resistance temperature, improve the cost performance of products, improve production efficiency and reduce costs.
(3) Filling in PVC, PE and other cables and insulating sheath materials can improve the product’s high temperature resistance, insulation, acid and alkali resistance and other properties and product processing performance, increase output and reduce costs.
(4) Filling the epoxy resin copper clad plate can reduce the viscosity of the resin, increase the bending strength, improve its physical and mechanical properties, increase the glass transition temperature, reduce the dielectric constant, reduce the water absorption, and reduce the cost.
(5) Filling with unsaturated polyester can reduce the shrinkage rate and washing water rate of the product, improve the wear resistance and hardness, and have less cavities during lamination and coating. It is used for FRP products, polishing wheels, tools, etc.
(6) Filling with silicone resin can improve the physical and mechanical properties, and a large amount of filling can greatly reduce the cost, which is an ideal material for the production of molds.
Post time: May-30-2022